You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I activate FaceTime to use in Egypt

I bought an iPad Pro 2020 from Apple store in Dubai during my visit and the didn’t clarify that the FaceTime isn’t active due to Dubai roles as I know later, How can I activate the FaceTime to use it in Egypt 🇪🇬

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 11:41 PM

4 replies

Aug 23, 2020 1:13 AM in response to MBeyaly007

Not all features or Apps are available in every region, some being restricted by local laws or legislation. The country in which the device is marketed/sold will determine which features are accessible. FaceTime, by example, is not available to devices purchased in many Middle East countries.

Apple doesn’t exclude FaceTime from their products because they have a choice - they do so because local laws prohibit use of certain services (in this case FaceTime is prohibited by law in UAE).

In this example, Apple products sold in UAE don’t incorporate services that are prohibited. Technically, the product’s region-specific model number will inhibit loading of Apps that are not intended for use in the region in which it is sold. Relocating the product from the country of purchase to another does not lift this hardware/software restriction.

The only by which you can obtain access to Facetime, currently, is to replace your iPad with a device purchased in region/territory in which the feature is supported.

Some other countries have similar restrictions (e.g., some countries do no permit elements of the native Find My App). Some restrictions don’t just relate to services and software, but may also apply to other characteristics (physical, electrical etc.).

I hope this clarification is helpful. Sorry that we can’t provide a technical solution that will allow you to bypass this restriction.

Aug 23, 2020 3:03 PM in response to MSE01977

That’s interesting news.

I hadn’t wanted to raise false hope - in addition to which the ToU that governs participation within the Apple Support Communities prohibit any form of speculative comment - but a number of sources have suggested that changes to FaceTime restrictions were coming.

Your report suggests that the anticipated changes may now be here.

How can I activate FaceTime to use in Egypt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.