You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only one side of the USB-C cable charges my iPad Pro 2018

Hello,

I thought that USB-C cables were symmetrical but it appears that my iPad only charges on one side of the USB-C cable. So if I turn the cable 180degrees and plug in again, it doesn't charge. I already changed the adapter (both original Apple) and also the cable (also original Apple) and I still got the same problem. Also turning the cable at the side of the charger doesn't make any difference. My conclusion therefore would be that something is wrong with my iPad. Does anybody know what the problem could be?

BR Harald

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 12:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 6:31 PM

Greetings BR Harald,

I too have the exact same problem. My 2018 11-inch iPad Pro, purchased Summer 2019, will only charge via 1-side of the USB C cable. I tested it with multiple cords and the result is the same. I fear it’s a hardware issue. Too bad the one-year warranty is up.

Erich

3 replies

Aug 18, 2020 2:10 AM in response to harald210

Your iPad will require “hands-on” diagnostic to confirm a fault with the physical USB-C port; this cannot be remotely tested.

Your best approach will be to visit either the Genius Bar at an Apple Store - or to seek assistance from an Apple Authorised Repair Agent. Alternatively, you might contact Apple Support - who may be able to arrange shipping for test/repair; the Contact Support link can be found at top-right of this page.

You might also initiate test at a repair centre through the Apple Support App:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful to you.

Only one side of the USB-C cable charges my iPad Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.