You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of mybrowser-search.com, searchmarquis.com, etc.?

Hi,

I clicked on a fake link to "install adobe flash" and since then my safari browser search is highjacked by mybrowser-search.com, searchmarquis.com and another one...

I went through many YouTube videos and all preferences options for Safari and I cannot find any extensions, apps, or other that has a reference to this websites highjacking my search. I read is related to Bing search, but I cannot find anything on that either.

Please help... Google search looks like the good-guy compared to this bad-*** virus? add-on? app? no idea what that even is. In any case, I cannot find the connection anywhere... I'm sure I'm missing something.

In Chrome was very easy to replace and kill in the preferences, not great is so difficult to do it in Safari :(((

This is really annoying, please help! :)

Cheers, CERP

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 1:26 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 14, 2020 3:15 AM in response to CERP74

CERP74 Said:

"How to get rid of mybrowser-search.com, searchmarquis.com, etc.? Hi, I clicked on a fake link to "install adobe flash" and since then my safari browser search is highjacked by mybrowser-search.com, searchmarquis.com and another one[...]"

-------

Clear Temporary Internet Files:

First, Boot into Safe Mode (Hold Down: shift key upon boot) and then clear your Temporary Internet Files - Apple Communities

Then, Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

Aug 15, 2020 11:09 PM in response to CERP74

CERP74 Said:

"Seems like you are asking me to install another malware.... I thought Apple would not allow these type of messages containing ads for other software? Anybody else? there should be a solution without installing another software that who knows what it does..."

-------

Malwarebytes is not Malware:

It searches for malware . It is developed by longtime users of these forums, making it the only reliable Security Software for Mac.

Aug 16, 2020 8:43 AM in response to CERP74

Malwarebytes in its original release version was developed under a different name by a long time user here, he has since joined the Malwarebytes company and no longer participates here. So, several of us do know him and there is nothing bad about it.

It will scan and get rid of malware and adware.

FYI, we are all end users here volunteering our time to help. There is no advertising here. When we suggest a third party app it is because we've used it and it worked. The only solution without using another app for your problem would be a complete erase and install without porting over any backups so there are no chances of copying the browser hijack.

How to get rid of mybrowser-search.com, searchmarquis.com, etc.?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.