You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Comments and notes in Preview

What is the point of comments in Preview if they are going to disappear whenever you save the document and then open in a new device? I work on multiple Macs and moving these comments from one machine to another is important. I save the documents both in iCloud and in Google Drive.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 8:19 AM

3 replies

Aug 5, 2020 11:20 AM in response to AshtonMD

I just applied the following annotations to a PDF on Mojave 10.14.6 (18G6020):

1. Note
  2. Text box
  3. Shape

I copied this file onto iCloud drive, and opened with Preview from Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73). All annotations accounted for in the PDF.

I uploaded the same PDF from iCloud Drive to Google Drive, where all annotations remained intact, and then downloaded it to Catalina (noticed an anti-virus sweep on the Google end), where all annotations remained unchanged as they appeared on Google Drive. I am not experiencing the loss of annotations as you have stated.

Are you opening the PDF on Google Drive with a third-party PDF viewer hosted by Google Drive?

Comments and notes in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.