You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive

What is the best external hard drive for a late 2011 macbook pro? Thinking of 2-4Terrabits, this also doesn't have to be a portable one either.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 6:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 6:37 PM

dakotaracer47 Said:

"External hard drive: What is the best external hard drive for a late 2011 macbook pro? Thinking of 2-4Terrabits, this also doesn't have to be a portable one either."

-------

Specs to Consider:

• Data Capacity:

Get an external hard drive that is of SSD(Solid State Drive)-type - not HDD(Hard Disk Drive). A SSD Drive has no moving parts, and is therefore less prone to quick failure. Be certain it is at least the 1.5 size of your internal hard drive. If you want to perform many, many backups, then get one that is al least 3-4 times the size.

• Portable or Desktop:

A Portable Hard Drive would be great, if you want to store it in a small location (i.e. a safe). Note that it can get hot what restoring or formatting, so you would want to place it atop a Laptop Cooler. But, a desktop Hard Drive would have its own fans - just don't store it against the wall or in the corner.

• Data Recovery Concerns:

All hard drives are prone to failure, and SSDs have no moving parts, and, therefore, are less prone to quick failure. So that is why to get and SSD. If the seller offers data recovery, I would recommend getting it. Elsewise, it could cost you thousands of dollars just to get it all recovered.

• Where to Get it:

I'd perforer a retailer - they have face-to-face return policies.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2020 6:37 PM in response to dakotaracer47

dakotaracer47 Said:

"External hard drive: What is the best external hard drive for a late 2011 macbook pro? Thinking of 2-4Terrabits, this also doesn't have to be a portable one either."

-------

Specs to Consider:

• Data Capacity:

Get an external hard drive that is of SSD(Solid State Drive)-type - not HDD(Hard Disk Drive). A SSD Drive has no moving parts, and is therefore less prone to quick failure. Be certain it is at least the 1.5 size of your internal hard drive. If you want to perform many, many backups, then get one that is al least 3-4 times the size.

• Portable or Desktop:

A Portable Hard Drive would be great, if you want to store it in a small location (i.e. a safe). Note that it can get hot what restoring or formatting, so you would want to place it atop a Laptop Cooler. But, a desktop Hard Drive would have its own fans - just don't store it against the wall or in the corner.

• Data Recovery Concerns:

All hard drives are prone to failure, and SSDs have no moving parts, and, therefore, are less prone to quick failure. So that is why to get and SSD. If the seller offers data recovery, I would recommend getting it. Elsewise, it could cost you thousands of dollars just to get it all recovered.

• Where to Get it:

I'd perforer a retailer - they have face-to-face return policies.

External hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.