You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 11'' 2018 not charging anymore

I've found my iPad with a black screen of death.

Some program in the background has likely drained the battery.

Connecting it to a USB QC3.0 car charger gives only an intermittent display of an empty battery on black background.

I've connected the iPad to a friend standard Apple charger during the whole night to no avail.

Please note that there is no white USB connector below the empty battery on the iPad display!

I've tested different USB car chargers and a USB power bank. No result.

Tried several times to hard reset the iPad.No result.

I've currently no access to grid connection.

It appears that the iPad is drawing power only when not displaying the empty battery.

So as soon as the empty battery appears, the USB port is disconnected.

It always cycles like that without charging.

I've posted that problem on a Mac forum and several people are in the same situation.

It appears that charging the iPad with the new powerful 18W charger would revive it.

But I don't have my 230V charger with me, only 12V car chargers.

I have used friends Apple iPhone standard 230V 10W charger to no avail.

Is there any USB car charger that could kick in the charging of my new iPad ?

A QC3.0 USB car charger does not do the trick.

Thanks for any solution.

Yves

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 12:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 3:00 AM

First, your iPad does not support the QC (Quick Charge) standard. If the QC Power Adapter works at all, it will fall-back to standard 5V charging at a much lower charging rate than the rating of the Power Adapter.

If you wish to use the Fast Charging features of your iPad, you must instead use a Power Adapter that supports USB-PD (Power Delivery) - as supported by the Apple 18W, 30W and other OEM high-wattage Power Adapters.

Fast charge your iPhone and iPad – Apple Support

If you have any other charging issues, perhaps this support page will be helpful:

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

I hope this information proves to be helpful in resolving your charging difficulties.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2020 3:00 AM in response to YLG80

First, your iPad does not support the QC (Quick Charge) standard. If the QC Power Adapter works at all, it will fall-back to standard 5V charging at a much lower charging rate than the rating of the Power Adapter.

If you wish to use the Fast Charging features of your iPad, you must instead use a Power Adapter that supports USB-PD (Power Delivery) - as supported by the Apple 18W, 30W and other OEM high-wattage Power Adapters.

Fast charge your iPhone and iPad – Apple Support

If you have any other charging issues, perhaps this support page will be helpful:

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

I hope this information proves to be helpful in resolving your charging difficulties.

Aug 3, 2020 10:47 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for your reply.

In fact I was only trying to revive my iPad Pro by all means, even with a slow charger.

My iPad Pro was death, useless.

I’ve found that it is impossible with many different car USB chargers, even from Apple, which is a bit disappointing.

I’ve completely lost the use of my iPad during a few day’s.

I had only access to 12 V USB adapters.

Last sunday, I’ve analyzed the USB-C specs using my iPhone and I’ve found what you mention: we MUST use a fully PD compliant charger to have a chance to revive an iPad showing only the Empty Battery of Death.

This morning at the shop opening hour, I’ve bought a quite expensive Hama USB-C car charger compliant with the Power Delivery.

It did the trick in a matter of 10 minutes the Empty Battery was gone and after about 1h45 my iPad was fully recharged.

According to me, Apple should fix the Empty Battery of Death issue with standard USB chargers, because they pretend that an iPad Pro would replace any Laptop or Desktop.

That's likely true, but I cannot afford to loose my iPad Pro usage during 5 day’s just for such a stupid charging issue when I have only 12V car chargers available.

I had just decided to get rid of my laptop due to the great possibilities offered by the iPad Pro.

I somewhat regret my decision although I’m happy to have recovered my iPad.

Yves

Aug 3, 2020 10:58 AM in response to YLG80

Just want to add that it was visible that the iPad was rejecting the charge from all non PD compliant chargers or battery banks

The battery bank LED was clearly showing that the battery was systematically disconnected within a few seconds,

It was only cycling through connect/disconnect.

On our main 12 V dashboard with an ammeter, it was clear that the iPad battery charging circuit was disconnected a few seconds after having been connected. It was drawing only 0.2A up to 0.4A during 5 seconds before being disconnected.

Why disconnecting/rejecting a standard slow charger that could not hurt the battery.

iPad Pro 11'' 2018 not charging anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.