You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro requires me to 'Save As' instead of 'Save'

I recently migrated my sound library and all production files to a new external Hard Drive. Since doing so, anytime I try to 'Save' my work, I get a message from Logic stating, "The document [project name] could not be saved." This requires me to then do a 'Save As' thereby creating a new unique document / project each time. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 5:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 6:28 AM

Yes. You can reformat the drive. Only use the macOS Disk Utility. Do not use the software that came with the drive.

Full Disk Access is something related to security in macOS System Preferences. Nothing to do with formatting.

WD

Similar questions

11 replies

Jul 31, 2020 12:35 PM in response to Wilddrums

Hi Wilddrums,

I'm running 10.5.1 and the new HD is a Samsung T7 SSD. I originally had my projects stored on a Seagate HD and my library on my macbook pro's HD.

To transfer, I dragged and dropped in a Finder Window from the old HD to the new one. As far as formatting, it "autoformatted" when I ran the Mac software pre-installed on it. It's showing the format as "ExFat" (I have no idea what that means) and permissions show as "custom".

Not sure how to access additional info but appreciate the help.

Jul 31, 2020 1:01 PM in response to WunderMutt

Thanks for the feedback WunderMutt.

ExFat is a file system format compatible with macOS and Windows. Using it as a working drive for files like Logic projects can lead to many problem. Better to use APFS or MacOS Extended formatted with the macOS Disk Utility. Not using any third party utilities.

Meanwhile:

Did you activated any security feature on the Samsung drive? Encryption, password...

Did you accidentally activated the Touch function in case it is the Touch model?

Did you give Full Disk Access to Logic in macOS System Preferences?

WD

Logic Pro requires me to 'Save As' instead of 'Save'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.