You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restarting Computer

Hello, I was trying to upgrade my old iMac - early 2008 to Catalina using info from YouTube. I got as far as specifying a new start disk to be the one with the Catalina installer on, and it's telling me its a bad version of the macOS, but I can't seem to specify the disk with the good macOS, El Capitan X. I'm in some sort of a loop I can't get out of. Thurning on and off and restarting don't help. Any ideas? I'm a newbie with Apple and I'm trying out an old gimme machine to see if I like Apple.

Thanks, Ray

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 9:56 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 30, 2020 10:05 AM in response to rjwohltman

Hello,

Thanks for posting your concern on the Apple Support Communities.

Your iMac Early 2008 is on its latest version of OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. It cannot be upgraded anymore. Therefore, Catalina is giving you an error message because it's not compatible with your iMac.

If you need to reinstall OS X El Capitan visit Step 5 in How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Restarting Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.