You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inherit Time Machine Backups

Hello all,

Today I decided to do a fresh install on my mac which included doing a wipe of my internal SSD partition for my mac (Also have a bootcamp partition). Previously had time-machine in use on my prior install using a 1TB Sandisk SSD external (USB-C). Once I got signed in / set up the new install I was able to select my external SSD again as a time-machine back-up location, however I want to recover some files that I had in my prior install but when I enter time machine I am unable to access these states / images. I can see them on the side with the tick-marks (not sure I'm explaining that quite right), but when I attempt to click on them I can't access anything.

I think this is possibly related to needing to 'inherit' these backups but I have followed a couple of guides to try to get this right using Terminal but can't seem to get it.

Anyone have any ways to make sure this works? I used the following command in terminal:

sudo tmutil associatedisk -a /

And drag-and-dropped the prior backup:

Tried dropping in Macintosh HD into the path above in terminal which was the update prior to me wiping the internal SSD partition, entered my password and granted appropriate read/write permissions to Terminal to make sure it works but still no dice.

Was hoping to get some more advice - any is much appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 7:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 1:15 PM

Hold down the Option key and select Browse Other Backup Disks… from the Time Machine menu.

Then select the same disk. See if that won't let you access the previous backups and restore the files you want.

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 2, 2020 12:39 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks for your reply - no I didn't try running migration assistant because I wanted a fresh install without restoring from a back-up.

My problem is that the 'snapshots' are not available when I open up the time-machine application, does migration assistant help with acquiring these snapshots somehow?

It looks like I can access the files in the external drive, however - so I could just drag and drop them I guess as a workaround but I find it interesting that the backups haven't been logged into time machine from prior and made into snapshots.

Inherit Time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.