You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice Memos unable to edit - iCloud issue?

I have used Voice Memos on my iPhones successfully for years. It is an important tool for me. I often use edit, to add to or trim memos.

Sometimes in the past month I started having serious problems with Voice Memos. It will record a message no problem. But if I try to edit a voice memo whether to add or to trim and then save it, the memo becomes unplayable.

This is disturbing to say the least.

another thing I noticed is that once I have named a voice memo if I try to send it to someone it no longer retains the title that I gave it but uses a string of numerical digits.

This is also disturbing but not quite as big a problem.

Another completely new thing I’ve noticed is that I often see “downloading...” underneath these memos in question. The ones I’ve tried to edit. This seems really strange as I usually edit a voice memo immediately after I’ve recorded it. So it would seem that the content would be directly on my phone. Why does the program need to download anything?

This all leads me to believe that

the problem I’m having has something to do with iCloud. It’s possible that I wasn’t using iCloud to back up Voice Memos in the past. Maybe it wasn’t even an option in the past. But I believe in the past few months I may have selected an option for iCloud to back up Voice Memos. And Now I am having issues.

In hopes to solve this, within settings, under “apps using iCloud” I turned voice memos off.

But this didn’t solve the problem.

I am still seeing voice memos say “downloading…” underneath memos that I have tried to edit.

Next, Within my iCloud settings on my iPhone if I go into “Manage Storage” and try to “turn off” Voice Memos there...

The only option I get is to “delete data” from BOTH the iPhone and iCloud! which is terrifying! Of course I don’t want to delete the messages from my phone!

I just want to stop the interaction of my phone with iCloud.

I really don’t know what to do about this.

If anybody else is having a similar problem I would love to get some help on this.

Thank you!

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 11:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 4:01 PM

Next step - Get Support.

Similar questions

1 reply

Voice Memos unable to edit - iCloud issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.