You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac .migrating from old to new and what to delete before doing so

Hello, the reason i am asking is because there is unhinge discrepancy between what is stored in each Desktop.As i look at About this Mac/Storage/ Recommendations . Documents is showing only 7.46Gb occupancy on the new one but 94.gb on the old one . iCloud shows 815.4MB (New) and 46.03GB (Old) Neither iTunes nor Mail are showing at all the on the new one but 33.76GB and *(.13GB respectively on the old one

The new desktop has my photos in place as well as Mail and the documents I stored as well as some iMovie files I made

My question is what i should delete before proceeding with the migration because it seems me about 90% should go but I wont want lose anything that might be critical or iTunes files .

Here is screen shot

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 4:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 5:05 AM

In the end I decided to go with a clean installation as pretty much everything I wanted appeared when I finished installing it .I still have the backups if choose to use them but is suspect I would end up with loads of unwanted files so I will leave well alone

4 replies

New iMac .migrating from old to new and what to delete before doing so

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.