You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with lost text messages that were deleted

I lost all of many messages with specific contacts. How do I recover them?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 9:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 9:22 PM

If you are using iCloud Syncing for Messages, once you delete a message, it's gone. There's no way to recover it. That's why it asks you twice if you want to delete anything. I'd guess what happened is that, instead of deleting an individual message, you inadvertently deleted the entire thread from the main conversation screen.

If you're not using iCloud Syncing and you have a back up that contain the messages, you can restore your phone from that back up.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Note that restoring from a back up will overwrite everything currently on the phone.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2020 9:22 PM in response to ScottN_

If you are using iCloud Syncing for Messages, once you delete a message, it's gone. There's no way to recover it. That's why it asks you twice if you want to delete anything. I'd guess what happened is that, instead of deleting an individual message, you inadvertently deleted the entire thread from the main conversation screen.

If you're not using iCloud Syncing and you have a back up that contain the messages, you can restore your phone from that back up.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Note that restoring from a back up will overwrite everything currently on the phone.

Help with lost text messages that were deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.