You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make a "Male Radio Noisey" plug-in for newer Garagebands?

I used to use Garageband 6.0.5 up until recently when I got a new Macbook. I’ve been reading a lot that the ‘Legacy’ plug-in Male Radio Noisey isn’t on this new version. How do I make a custom and/or get that plug-in back? How do I make it a preset on my Output master plug-ins?

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 8:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 7:06 AM

I'm not aware of 'Male Radio Noisey', but in the the standard plug-ins there are few options that sound a bit like an old 'radio voice' to me. I'm presuming you're talking about a pinched, no low-end vintage sounding voice. I looked at the Legacy Logic (and thus GB) vocal patches, and there is a 'Male Radio', but it just seems like a very flat EQ response with just some very high and very low-end freqs chopped out. I guess that's not what you want.

In the Channel EQ plug-in, in the drop down, under '07- EQ Tools' (i.e. not under the '05-Voice' section) there are:

Megaphone EQ

Megaphone

Phone Filter Notch

Phone Filter Wide-Band

They all strip away high and low frequencies to sound like voice through an inefficient small speaker. These might be a good place to start. Using the EQ tool, you can then tailor them more to the sound you need.

In the latest version of GB (10.3.4) in the Voice presets/patches for Audio tracks, there is both a Telephone Vocal and a Megaphone Vocal (the latter in the Experimental sub-menu). I don't know if they compare to Male Radio, but perhaps useful starting points?

Finally, some other possibilities you might want to check out, but that I haven't. There is a guitar patch called "Worlds Smallest Amp". You could try that. And if you want to add some crackle, and old-vinyl noise, then have a look on the web for a plug-in from izotope called Vinyl. I don't know if it works on Catalina!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 20, 2020 7:06 AM in response to shifsosa

I'm not aware of 'Male Radio Noisey', but in the the standard plug-ins there are few options that sound a bit like an old 'radio voice' to me. I'm presuming you're talking about a pinched, no low-end vintage sounding voice. I looked at the Legacy Logic (and thus GB) vocal patches, and there is a 'Male Radio', but it just seems like a very flat EQ response with just some very high and very low-end freqs chopped out. I guess that's not what you want.

In the Channel EQ plug-in, in the drop down, under '07- EQ Tools' (i.e. not under the '05-Voice' section) there are:

Megaphone EQ

Megaphone

Phone Filter Notch

Phone Filter Wide-Band

They all strip away high and low frequencies to sound like voice through an inefficient small speaker. These might be a good place to start. Using the EQ tool, you can then tailor them more to the sound you need.

In the latest version of GB (10.3.4) in the Voice presets/patches for Audio tracks, there is both a Telephone Vocal and a Megaphone Vocal (the latter in the Experimental sub-menu). I don't know if they compare to Male Radio, but perhaps useful starting points?

Finally, some other possibilities you might want to check out, but that I haven't. There is a guitar patch called "Worlds Smallest Amp". You could try that. And if you want to add some crackle, and old-vinyl noise, then have a look on the web for a plug-in from izotope called Vinyl. I don't know if it works on Catalina!

How do I make a "Male Radio Noisey" plug-in for newer Garagebands?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.