You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Correct password is not recognised on first boot up

Hi

Everything was working fine with my MacBook Pro untill I had an OS update Catalina 10.15.6

When I first turn on my MacBook after shut down - I put in my correct password but its not accepted (infact after I've put the first three digits in the password dots go backwards).

I then click on the restart button - it then restarts to the log on screen - I then put in my password and it logs in no problem.

It only takes a few seconds but even so this can't be right

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 5:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 10:38 AM

Hello MortimerWatt.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see that you have been experiencing issues with logging into your Mac since updating the macOS. We will be glad to assist.

Let's start up in safe mode to see if it helps: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue persists, try the following resets next:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Cheers.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2020 10:38 AM in response to MortimerWatt

Hello MortimerWatt.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see that you have been experiencing issues with logging into your Mac since updating the macOS. We will be glad to assist.

Let's start up in safe mode to see if it helps: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue persists, try the following resets next:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Cheers.

Jul 21, 2020 5:01 PM in response to Leanne_68

Hi

I feel a bit of an idiot - I forgot I had a third party gaming mouse plugged into it which worked great except that when I did a shut down and initial boot I had the problem and assumed it was to do with my OS upgrade.

Once I unplugged the third party gaming mouse on initial boot up - no problem so theres obviously a slight compatibility issue with my gaming mouse and my MacBook.

Thanks for the support and sorry to have troubled the community with a silly oversight.

Mortimer

Correct password is not recognised on first boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.