You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dock changes size even though it shouldn't

I set dock size to largest, always visible and positioned left. As you can see on the first screenshot, app window is tightly positioned next to the dock, as it should be.

But if I open another app, dock suddenly becomes narrower by, it seems, 3-4 pixels. There's a visible gap between dock and app window now. I would expect that dock width stays the same (largest, as I set it up with slider).

Is there any way to really fix the dock width?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 8:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 8:45 AM

The Dock attempts to maintain spacing between the edges to be even regardless of the number of icons. If you get to a point of diminishing returns it will shrink to adjust its size while maintaining the depiction of all icons you wish to store on it and active programs. You can click on the divider between the applications and documents/windows/trash can to adjust its size. Apple menu -> System preferences -> Dock will also help you on that account.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 16, 2020 8:45 AM in response to ivan_milosavljevic_cf

The Dock attempts to maintain spacing between the edges to be even regardless of the number of icons. If you get to a point of diminishing returns it will shrink to adjust its size while maintaining the depiction of all icons you wish to store on it and active programs. You can click on the divider between the applications and documents/windows/trash can to adjust its size. Apple menu -> System preferences -> Dock will also help you on that account.

dock changes size even though it shouldn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.