You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to select items in Preview

Hi there,

I'm using a Macbook pro running Sierra 10.12.6 and using preview to put lines and text on some photos (essentially dimensions of windows and furniture).

I can get part-way into editing the photo and can add lines and text but at some point I'm unable to select them. The only way I can do this is to draw a new line or insert a new text box. Then the "little hand" becomes visible and I can select the item. Any item I have drawn earlier I can't select.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I would be grateful for some ideas on what to do.

macdonl

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 1:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 2:49 PM

Unlike a PDF file, when you apply an annotation to an image file, and the file is saved (or autosaved), you lose any future opportunity to select those annotations as they are now burned into the image.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 13, 2020 12:18 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hi VikingOSX

Apologies for my late reply. I have been away from the desk for a while and am just catching up!

Many thanks for your reply. That does explain things well.

Do you have any suggestions for a simple editor that can make changes after saving?

Clearly, with Preview I'll need to avoid saves until I have exactly what I want on the image.

macdonl

Jul 13, 2020 1:47 PM in response to macdonl

You need a vector graphics tool that supports layers so you can open the original image as a base layer, and then add additional content in layers above it. The free GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) would allow you to do this. There are a bunch of free, online, or fee applications to choose from so, pay attention to the details that best suit your workflow needs.

Otherwise, look in the Mac App Store, and search for image editor. Read the small print for any application with the most star-rating that looks like its free, as it may be a trial with subscription requirement. Also, scroll down in these and click on the Compatibilty link to see what operating system it requires.

unable to select items in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.