You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Library Doesn't Load

At least 50% of the time the Music app on macOS Catalina doesn't allow me to listen to the music in my Music Library. Whether it is a song, a playlist, or an album, I cannot listen to it. The songs are all greyed out and doing any actions has zero effect. Interestingly, I'm able to go to the "For You" tab, go to my profile, and view my public playlists and listen to them that way but not if I try to access them through my library. This happens the first time I open the Music app, without fail, every time. But once I close the app and reopen the app, it will work most of the time. The only way I know Music will work is if the bottom left of the app window it shows a dialog saying "Updating Cloud Music Library". But in some other cases, I will have to do the reopening steps multiple times (5 - 15 times) for it to finally connect to Apple's servers and load my iCloud Music Library.

I've tried this on multiple MacBook Pro's (13 and 15), different macOS Catalina versions, restarted my laptop, restored to factory settings, unauthorized and reauthorized, everything! I'm fairly certain this is a bug somewhere in the Music app.

Also, Apple Music works on my iPhone while the Music app will not.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 8:12 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 9, 2020 5:05 AM in response to hsul001

Hey there, hsul001.

Being able to access your tunes is vital, so we can understand why you’d be concerned that your music is greyed out until restarting Music. 

Check out the steps in the following article. Be sure to pay special attention to “If you can’t find or play a song” If songs are missing from your music library after you turn on Sync Library - Apple Support

Don’t hesitate to respond if you have further questions. 

All the best. 

Apple Music Library Doesn't Load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.