You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Auto-Sharing Bookmarks: How do I stop it?

I have a Mac desktop and a MacBook Air. The MacBook air is only used for certain projects: most every file I use is saved in the iCloud; anything of a sensitive nature is not kept here. That is the way I want it, but Safari had different ideas.

When I got the laptop, most - but not all - of my bookmarks from my desktop were automatically added to the laptop. This wasn't a transfer; I still use the laptop for most of my work. I'm guessing it was done because of my appleID, I don't really know, but in any event, I do not want this. There are only a few bookmarks I would like to have on the laptop, the rest should not have ever of been addedd. I don't know how this was set up, but I would like to stop it.

I am tempted to just delete them all from the laptop, but - as I have no idea how or why they were auto-populated - I am fearful that deleting bookmarks on the laptop will work backwards and delete them off the desktop.

I would appreciate any advice on how to stop they two from "sharing" bookmarks and know how to safely remove them from the laptop. If your suggestion is to question why I want to do this, please do not bother posting.

Thanks

Jim

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 12:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 1:18 PM

It's a good idea to export a copy of your bookmarks first (if anything goes wrong, you can always import them again):

From support.apple.com: "Export a copy of your Safari bookmarks:

1. Choose File > Export Bookmarks.
  2. Choose where you want to export the file, then click Save. The file’s name is Safari Bookmarks.html unless you change it."

To stop synchronizing bookmarks:

• click on the apple-icon
  • click on Preferences
  • click on your AppleID
  • click on iCloud
  • uncheck Safari

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 27, 2020 1:18 PM in response to hoopsmiller

It's a good idea to export a copy of your bookmarks first (if anything goes wrong, you can always import them again):

From support.apple.com: "Export a copy of your Safari bookmarks:

1. Choose File > Export Bookmarks.
  2. Choose where you want to export the file, then click Save. The file’s name is Safari Bookmarks.html unless you change it."

To stop synchronizing bookmarks:

• click on the apple-icon
  • click on Preferences
  • click on your AppleID
  • click on iCloud
  • uncheck Safari

Safari Auto-Sharing Bookmarks: How do I stop it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.