You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air ventilation makes a lot of noise

Hi,

I'm using a MacBook Air 2020 since this weekend. It surprises me how much noise the ventilation is making, even when I've only one browser tab open and I'm not actually working on my laptop.

I've installed Norton, no other applications are downloaded yet.

Does anyone recognize this issue and maybe knows how I can resolve this issue?

Thank you,

Tamara

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 8:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 5:35 PM

Hello timtam84,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! It looks like you're noticing the fans on your new MacBook Air are running fast and loud and you're not sure why. We'll be happy to help out.

Activity Monitor can help with determining why this is happening, as it sounds like an app is using more of the processor than needed. Here's how to check: See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity

Since you mentioned the only app you've added is a virus and security protection app, that may be what's causing the issue.

Installing protection such as that is entirely up to you, however, you'll find that the macOS has security included. Read more about that here: Security. Built right in.

We'd suggest uninstalling the Norton application according to the app developer's instructions.

Then reset the SMC, fo.lowing these steps: How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Use your Mac for awhile and see if you are still having the same issue. If you are still having the same issue with the fans running fast and loud without that app, then you'll want to contact Apple Support for some assistance. Get Support

Here's some other great information about keeping your Mac secure.

Protect your Mac from malware

Find, buy, and download apps in the App Store on Mac

Ways to keep your information safe on Mac

Take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 26, 2020 5:35 PM in response to timtam84

Hello timtam84,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! It looks like you're noticing the fans on your new MacBook Air are running fast and loud and you're not sure why. We'll be happy to help out.

Activity Monitor can help with determining why this is happening, as it sounds like an app is using more of the processor than needed. Here's how to check: See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity

Since you mentioned the only app you've added is a virus and security protection app, that may be what's causing the issue.

Installing protection such as that is entirely up to you, however, you'll find that the macOS has security included. Read more about that here: Security. Built right in.

We'd suggest uninstalling the Norton application according to the app developer's instructions.

Then reset the SMC, fo.lowing these steps: How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Use your Mac for awhile and see if you are still having the same issue. If you are still having the same issue with the fans running fast and loud without that app, then you'll want to contact Apple Support for some assistance. Get Support

Here's some other great information about keeping your Mac secure.

Protect your Mac from malware

Find, buy, and download apps in the App Store on Mac

Ways to keep your information safe on Mac

Take care!

MacBook Air ventilation makes a lot of noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.