You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i boot mabook pro using MacBook Air thru thunderbolt to usbc

My MacBook screen has been broken. I used an external monitor and for some reason there is an issue booting. I tried pram and smc resetting. Since I can’t see disk utility or anything is there a way to fix it via connecting to MacBook Air?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 5:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 12:16 AM

No you cannot boot your MacBook Pro using a connection with your MacBook Air.

What you can do with the connection that you had mentioned is have your MacBook Pro enter the ➔ Target Disk Mode. All this does is transfers data from one Mac to another. In your case it would transfer data from your MacBook Pro to your MacBook Air. Just data transfer. This still would not solve your issue. This is because you have no visual on your MacBook Pro. Its a shame that your external display is not working anymore with your MacBook Pro.

If your external display was still useful then you could have run Safe Mode and even macOS recovery mode to reinstall macOS on your MacBook Pro and address issues that way. Can't do this either due to no visual at this time.

I recommend that you have your Macbook Pro examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center when they open back up again. You may even contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 19, 2020 12:16 AM in response to killnerv

No you cannot boot your MacBook Pro using a connection with your MacBook Air.

What you can do with the connection that you had mentioned is have your MacBook Pro enter the ➔ Target Disk Mode. All this does is transfers data from one Mac to another. In your case it would transfer data from your MacBook Pro to your MacBook Air. Just data transfer. This still would not solve your issue. This is because you have no visual on your MacBook Pro. Its a shame that your external display is not working anymore with your MacBook Pro.

If your external display was still useful then you could have run Safe Mode and even macOS recovery mode to reinstall macOS on your MacBook Pro and address issues that way. Can't do this either due to no visual at this time.

I recommend that you have your Macbook Pro examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center when they open back up again. You may even contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

can i boot mabook pro using MacBook Air thru thunderbolt to usbc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.