You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning to USB-C

I’m using an IRig 2 MIDI interface which connected to my old iPad via the lightning connector. Is there an easy way to connect this to the USB-C connector on my iPad Pro? I looked at various adaptors but they appeared to work only for charging, maybe I looked at the wrong ones. The manufacturer, IK Multimedia in Italy do a replacement cable but it’s €37 (£33), half the cost of the whole rig! Maybe I’ll have to make up my own cable from a USB cable and a mini DIN connector.

Thanks.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 9:03 AM

5 replies

Jun 16, 2020 2:22 PM in response to QuickPost

Really? Does that mean that it won’t work with the replacement USB-C cable being sold by the manufacturer for the purpose? I don’t see the problem if the cable is only carrying data and power. Details for the MIDI app I’m using say it supports iPad Pros which have USB-C so the data must be available at the USB connector for transmission to a MIDI interface. Surely it’s just a matter of connecting the right pins together in the same way as the lightning cable (using the TX/RX or D pins on the USB-C instead of the Lane 0/1 pins on the Lightning).

Jun 16, 2020 7:08 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks but I still don’t understand. Does that mean if I opted for the manufacturer’s cable designed to use the interface on a USB-C device, it won’t work because of the incompatible signals? There are no technical details about it but it’s described as just a cable (rather than a converter) and is stated as being compatible with the iRig MIDI 2 interface. Would all the cables they sell have a converter chip in them (including the Lightning cable)? It might explain the high price but I don’t see how it accounts for half the cost of the whole interface package.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/cbl-usb-c-to-mini-din-cable/

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/cbl-lightning-to-mini-din-cable/

Jun 17, 2020 3:00 PM in response to Deckie

The plot thickens. Apparently there is no signal conversion going on, both the Lightning and USB-C cables are just straight cables, they are interchangeable to work with various iPads and both cables are stated by the manufacturer to work with the iRig MIDI 2 interface. I’ll have to make up a lead, play around with the data connections and see what happens. All very confusing but I won’t have lost much if it doesn’t work.

Lightning to USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.