You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add my harmony vocal track to a friend's song - trouble synching timing.

Hi there,

My friend and I are trying to play some music "together" during the pandemic by sharing mp3s and laying tracks on top in Garage Band.

I've imported into GB an mp3 of her singing with her brother playing guitar. The goal is for me to add vocal harmony, and I can't figure out an easy way to do it.

If I record myself while playing their track, their track gets "doubled" on the recording. Same thing happens if I choose the headphones option for their track.

I've tried playing their track on my iPhone (listening with headphones and singing along)...and muting their track on GB so that it doesn't get recorded. This works, but it's practically impossible to get the tracks to synch up in terms of timing.

There's got to be an easier way that I'm missing. Can anyone help? - Thanks

AB

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 3:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 4:17 PM

Hello CupaniSweetPea

Yes, Import your friends "Track 1" into the session. "Track 1" will only be used in tracking as a monitor "backing track" as a guide for timing and pitch. When this track is running do not have "Record" on, on this track. Tap on the monitoring button.

Set up/Add a second track "Track 2" for your prefect vocal take. Tap on the "Record" button and start singing!

Track header overview

After recording your vocal are you able to press on the solo (Headphone) and hear only the vocal solo?

If the issue persists, please don't hesitate to post a reply!

Thanks!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 5, 2020 4:17 PM in response to CupaniSweetPea

Hello CupaniSweetPea

Yes, Import your friends "Track 1" into the session. "Track 1" will only be used in tracking as a monitor "backing track" as a guide for timing and pitch. When this track is running do not have "Record" on, on this track. Tap on the monitoring button.

Set up/Add a second track "Track 2" for your prefect vocal take. Tap on the "Record" button and start singing!

Track header overview

After recording your vocal are you able to press on the solo (Headphone) and hear only the vocal solo?

If the issue persists, please don't hesitate to post a reply!

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2020 2:01 PM in response to CupaniSweetPea

Hello CupaniSweetPea

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. From what I am understanding is you are attempting to track backing harmonies on your friends track using GarageBand, correct?

Sharing the tracks up you would need to have the mp3 audio files and the Garageband audio track starting at 1 on the Time Quantize pop-up menu. When sharing, this will sync the original back up tracks to starting at the same time: Sharing overview

When setting up a multitrack session, having the backing track (Friend and Guitar) as track 1. and the new backing vocal as track 2. Then you about the adjust the volume of the playback of track 1. to balance to the mix of your performance of your backing vocal in track 2. Using headphone and microphone would be recommend for isolation of sound. If using the iPhone, having the audio come out the speakers and singing into the microphones of the iPhone. The iPhone microphone will pick up the backing track and the backing vocal. Using the Apple Headphone with microphone would work.

Here is the GarageBand guide: What is GarageBand?

Hopefully this help!

Please feel free to reply on this post thread.

Jun 5, 2020 3:07 PM in response to traviss35

Traviss35, thanks for the prompt reply and for the info on the Time Quantize pop-up menu - I've finally figured out how to get to it by dragging up the divider bar of the editor so that I can see that section.

I am using my friend's mp3 as track 1. I have added a new track (2) for myself, but I'm still confused about how to actually go about recording without doubling her track (track 1). (Sorry, I'm in the remedial GB class, obviously.)

What is the source that I should be using to sing along to this track when I record? As I mentioned above, if I use the laptop and play track 1 while I record my track 2, then track 1 gets doubled in the recording and it sounds terrible. I'd like to avoid using the phone if possible. Is there a way to simply play track 1 and record track 2 on top of it without doubling track 1?

Thanks.

How to add my harmony vocal track to a friend's song - trouble synching timing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.