You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get Preview to open files in separate windows

When I open a file (either jpg or PDF), Preview almost always opens it in an existing window. This makes it extremely difficult to find, especially since I usually have many windows open. The pull-down "Window" menu only shows the name of the first image or file in that window—which means I have to search through every open window and check the sidebar or tabs to see if that's where Preview has mysteriously opened the file.

I have gone to the Preview Preferences menu and ensured that "Open each file in its own window" is checked, to no avail. I have closed and restarted Preview—no change.

Help!

(MacBook Air 2015, High Sierra, 10.13.6)

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 11:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 12:40 PM

Yes, boxes 1, 2, and 4:

√ Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use

√ When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application

__ Group windows by application (not checked)

√ Displays have separate Spaces

I don't know what any of that means; I never use Mission Control.

Does any of that make a difference?

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 1, 2020 12:40 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes, boxes 1, 2, and 4:

√ Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use

√ When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application

__ Group windows by application (not checked)

√ Displays have separate Spaces

I don't know what any of that means; I never use Mission Control.

Does any of that make a difference?

Can't get Preview to open files in separate windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.