You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

while trying to update my MacBook Pro, Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.6 to Catalina, I get an message stating that an "error occurred while installing the selected update". Now what do I do?

While trying to update my MacBook Pro, Mac OS Mojave ver 10.14.6 to Catalina, I get an message stating that "an error occurred while installing the selected update". Now what do I do?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 7:39 PM

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities, dunn3052!

It sounds you’re receiving an error when trying to upgrade your macOS, so I’d be happy to help! First, I’d recommend unplugging any peripherals that are connected to your Mac during the installation process. This includes any hard drives, audio devices, etc. to be sure they don’t contribute to the behavior you’re experiencing.

Once complete, restart your computer and try the installation again. If you’re able to log in to your user, you can delete the file and download it again to ensure you have a fresh copy.

You can also try downloading the file using a different network connection to be sure there’s no problems there during the download.

Let us know the results, and have a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 2, 2020 7:39 PM in response to dunn3052

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities, dunn3052!

It sounds you’re receiving an error when trying to upgrade your macOS, so I’d be happy to help! First, I’d recommend unplugging any peripherals that are connected to your Mac during the installation process. This includes any hard drives, audio devices, etc. to be sure they don’t contribute to the behavior you’re experiencing.

Once complete, restart your computer and try the installation again. If you’re able to log in to your user, you can delete the file and download it again to ensure you have a fresh copy.

You can also try downloading the file using a different network connection to be sure there’s no problems there during the download.

Let us know the results, and have a great day!

while trying to update my MacBook Pro, Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.6 to Catalina, I get an message stating that an "error occurred while installing the selected update". Now what do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.