You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving commercially purchased physical DVDs from a VERY old iPad

I've been unable to transfer commercially purchased movies from a very old iPad (where they work perfectly) to a new iPad mini). I've tried backing up to the cloud or to my Mac, nothing has worked

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 27, 2020 9:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 3:01 PM

Thanks for the response. Nothing worked. These DVDs were NOT bought online, (they are old purchased physical movie DVDs, so all answers I found, will not work. Will use old iPad just to watch the movies on it. What doesn't make sense is that they were originally copied over from a Mac which is long gone, so it does the not compute that copyright protection is the problem. Thanks for trying

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 27, 2020 3:01 PM in response to Skydiver119

Thanks for the response. Nothing worked. These DVDs were NOT bought online, (they are old purchased physical movie DVDs, so all answers I found, will not work. Will use old iPad just to watch the movies on it. What doesn't make sense is that they were originally copied over from a Mac which is long gone, so it does the not compute that copyright protection is the problem. Thanks for trying

May 27, 2020 4:00 PM in response to lorew

The video player part of an ipad is basically a dead end. It is meant to be a destination for files and as such it has no way to export those files.

If you still had that mac, or had backed up those files onto a drive you could use another computer to re-sync those files back onto your new device. But without the files then they are gone and inaccessible on the old iPad I’m sorry to say.

Moving commercially purchased physical DVDs from a VERY old iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.