You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 8 plus cant update in recovery mode

I tried to update my iPhone after putting it into recovery mode because of the boot loop that it was stuck in when I turned it off and turned it back on. It came up with error code 9 after trying to update. So, I switched my USB cables, updated my Mac, and tried to update again. After doing that, my iPhone had the apple logo come up with the loading bar under it (like it was starting to update), but a quarter of the way through, it stopped with an error code of 14 again. I’ve tried to update multiple times and had the same result. Now I can’t get it out of recovery mode either. I am not sure what to do at this point, I don’t want to restore and lose all of my data, since I was unable to back it up being a full 256GB iphone 8 plus.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on May 26, 2020 3:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 3:36 PM

The state the your phone is in, there is no data on it since it is in recovery mode.

error 9 and 14 iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

and look here If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

5 replies

May 27, 2020 12:10 AM in response to InessaS

Yes, I had just received a iPhone storage full notification which it was at 255.5GB when I went to bed and then I woke up and it was at 255.7GB so I turned my phone off then back on, then all of a sudden it was at 256/256GB which it had never been at. So, I went to delete some things but wouldn’t allow me to go into any apps without iTunes password which I had entered multiple times and still wouldn’t let me use them. So I went to try and offload some apps and that wouldn’t work so I deleted a couple and for some reason the messages app where it says “messages” on the home screen was all fuzzy and pixelated and couldn’t even read what it was, which was very odd. So, I turned my phone off and then back on, and that is when it got stuck in the boot loop.

iphone 8 plus cant update in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.