You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

swiping keyboard

Where i can activate the swiping option for my new ipad 7

thank you

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 20, 2020 4:15 PM

12 replies

May 21, 2020 4:50 PM in response to maxi272

Hello,

As I previously mentioned, you can only use Apple’s QuickPath (swiping) keyboard when iPad’s software keyboard is in the small floating mode. Also, notice in the screenshot you provided that the keyboard is also in the small floating mode?

As Apple mentions in the screenshot you provided “Pinch to shine the QuickType keyboard and move it wherever you want for easy one handed typing.”

May 21, 2020 4:54 PM in response to maxi272

Do this to see how it works. On your iPad open the Message app. Tap on the bar to enter text and the keyboard comes up. Now, with two fingers on the keyboard, pinch in to make the keyboard float in a smaller box. Once you've done that, you can slide your finger around the letters to type a word.

You also need to make sure you have this turned on in Settings > General > Keyboard > turn on Slide on Floating Keyboard to Type

May 21, 2020 5:51 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Hey!

I am doing well. ASC has been keeping me busy during this time. How are you?

I wouldn’t say “under control”, surprisingly the amount of questions on the Using iPad section has been pretty light over the past few days. I might as well have just jinxed myself!

I am quite jealous that you are getting the new Magic Keyboard. It is the accessory that I have been waiting for since Tim Cook introduced iPad Pro in 2015. I have an iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation) so I would have to purchase a newer iPad... At the very least I am enjoying full Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse support. I was already using a mouse with my iPad since iPadOS 13.0 however I missed having gesture support like scrolling, pinch-to-zoom, etc.. It has been a game changer for how much work I can accomplish on my iPad.

May 21, 2020 6:03 PM in response to QuickPost

Over the years, iPad forum ebbs and flows from active to crickets from time to time. If you want some fun, come on over the iPhone forum. It's a completely different beast!

You may recall I've been using the Brydge Pro on my iPad Pro 11. It's a superb keyboard in every respect. But with iPadOS 13.4 came real mouse and track pad support I decided I wanted a keyboard with a track pad. While Brydge has released one and the keyboard is as usual great, they got the track pad all wrong and they keep trying to get it to work, but Apple's got the corner on that this time around. So, ordered it I did!

May 21, 2020 8:17 PM in response to lobsterghost1

The Brydge Pro is a phenomenal keyboard and I agree, the completely missed the mark on their trackpad. I love the new Magic Keyboard’s floating design and its use of traditional scissor switches with full backlighting. One day when my iPad Pro gives out I’ll be eyeballing an iPad Pro configuration with a Magic Keyboard (or whatever Apple has then...) Enjoy!

swiping keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.