You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost screenrecording MacBook Air

Hi,

I had made a lengthy screen recording (over one hour) of an important work meeting. The recording went fine; when I opened it immediately after recording the whole file was there. I then tried to email it to myself. I guess because it was a big file that didn't really work. So the recording closed and now I can't find it. I suppose my MacBook crashed. It was supposed to be saved in a general map, but now I cannot find it anywhere. I have tried several things like looking into the Time Machine application, and restarting my MacBook but I still haven't found it. Does anybody know how I can recover the screen recording?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 19, 2020 3:06 AM

3 replies

May 19, 2020 3:22 AM in response to SandsOfArrakis

Thankyou for your quick response.

Unfortunately no it does not show up in my recent list.

I made the recording by pressing Shift-Command (⌘)-5 on my keyboard.

My settings were that it would be stored in my desktop file, but I can’t find it there.

I also tried the shift-command-G application and typing in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Information/

That also didn’t work.

May 19, 2020 3:32 AM in response to DemiM95

Ok so I just tried it again with another recording I just made. And the problem seems to be with emailing it before it is saved. When the recording is made it pops up right in the corner. When I press on it and try to email it to myself right away it does open in email (because this is a very short/small recording file), unlike the bigger file. The recording file itself is closed somehow in the process of emailing it. However when I then close the email without sending it, the recording file itself is nowhere to be found. As if it hasn’t been saved yet. I, however, can not discover where it goes and where I can find it. Maybe this narrows it down a bit.

lost screenrecording MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.