You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

soundsticks speakers no longer work with MacBook

I have been using my Harmon Kardon SoundSticks 1 USB speakers with my MacBook Pro 15 inch (2018) for nearly 2 years with no problems. I unplugged them from the Mac (using a Thunderbolt to USB adapter). Later, I plugged them back in using my USB hub (and by themselves with the connector) and they do not work. In the sound control panel, a USB Audio CODEC shows (before it said SoundSticks) but if I select it, no sound plays from the Mac unless I switch back to the internal speakers. How do I get my speakers to work again? I am running the latest update of Catalina.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 14, 2020 6:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 7:48 PM

I have the same model computer. You have probably done all of this, but here goes. I start with a computer restart. try the speakers on another computer just to eliminate the speakers being the problem. I have had the sound quit for no apparent reason. I can't remember all the details . I'm sure I checked the sound control panel. Some apps have volume control that doesn't interact with the system settings. Safari has a small speaker icon to the right of the URL. It is only visible if the site has sound. This can be muted. I tend to have way too many tabs open and I have had multiple sites taking sound at the same time. I had to do a web search to solve that one.

Good luck.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 14, 2020 7:48 PM in response to David Biddix

I have the same model computer. You have probably done all of this, but here goes. I start with a computer restart. try the speakers on another computer just to eliminate the speakers being the problem. I have had the sound quit for no apparent reason. I can't remember all the details . I'm sure I checked the sound control panel. Some apps have volume control that doesn't interact with the system settings. Safari has a small speaker icon to the right of the URL. It is only visible if the site has sound. This can be muted. I tend to have way too many tabs open and I have had multiple sites taking sound at the same time. I had to do a web search to solve that one.

Good luck.

soundsticks speakers no longer work with MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.