You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband not recieving audio from Line-In.

Hi everybody, I'm sure this sounds redundant but I've been scrounging the internet for the past half hour to find a solution and simply cannot. I have my audio interface (Onyx Artist 1-2) selected as the input in every location I can find. To specify, my issue is that once this is done, there's still no signal in the meter. I already checked in my MacBook's system preferences and there's sound being shown at that meter, given that the interface is selected as the input. I'm a t a bit of a loss- it records my microphone just fine. Hoping somebody has some answers, thanks!

Sean

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 11, 2020 4:30 PM

5 replies

May 12, 2020 4:32 PM in response to iMacarroni

Thank you much for the response. To answer your questions:

1. This is a new device and my first few times attempting to get it going with Garageband, also my first audio interface bought. I've had a good amount of experience with Garageband, but not with these devices. That being said, I've spent lots of time around audio equipment and figured it couldn't be too crazy.

2 + 3. The onyx is indeed selected input in both the Garageband preferences and controls windows.

I found the application you're speaking of (hadn't known of it before, appreciate the info) but I wasn't able to find anything wrong there, granted it wasn't too familiar to me.

Just for reference sake, I've tried plugging a different acoustic-with-pickup instrument in since my first post and it too is having this problem. Could the type of track I'm using be an issue? I've tried both the guitar/bass and the mic/line-in.

I appreciate your time and thought, please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

May 12, 2020 9:12 AM in response to Sean-Isaac

Greetings,

I may not have answers, but your problem of not getting input signal in Garageband invokes many questions. On a semantic side note, technically it's not a "line in" it's a USB input. A line in would be an analog input like a guitar jack or RCA plugs. But, that's not the issue. Since you're getting a signal through the Onyx into the sound preference meter we're at least half way there, troubleshooting wise. So, here are three questions:

1. Is this a new problem with a previously working interface, or a new interface that has not been used before?
  2. I know you said you selected the Onyx "in every location I can find", but just to be sure that the one place that is crucial is selected, is it selected as input in Garageband preferences and not "greyed out"? (see attached)
  3. Is the correct channel for the Onyx selected in the "controls window". (see attached)

I'm going to guess that these settings are all correct and still there's no input. Can you find an application called "Audio/MIDI Setup" and check that everything looks good there (under the audio tab, of course), if you haven't already done that? That's all I can think of right now. Good luck - you will get this figured out and there'll be some smooth sailing ahead.

Garageband not recieving audio from Line-In.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.