You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrated to new MacBookPro 16 using TimeMachine BU from old machine. Made mistakes, ended up with two users and quirks. Plan to erase, recover mode, re install from old machine BU. Will Apple ID and other ID

Migrated to new MacBookPro 16 using TimeMachine BU from old MacBookPro 15. Made mistakes, ended up with two users and quirks. Plan to erase, recover mode, re install from old machine BU. Will Apple ID and other ID and PW's revert? Apple Id on other devices?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 9, 2020 9:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 9:08 PM

You can probably delete one of those users. But if the "quirks" are bothering you, booting into recovery, THEN erase and reinstall should work. (You said "erase, recover mode, reinstall ..." that's the wrong order.) If you boot into recovery, there is an option to erase the disk and reinstall a fresh operating system. That is the option you should select. After that clean reinstall, you'll have basically the new computer with no users or anything on it except what Apple shipped it with. Then it will complete the installation of the OS and reboot. On that first boot, don't create any users -- it will first ask if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup, you should say Yes and proceed with that. Select what you want to restore carefully -- restoring the users you want to bring over, files, settings etc. usually makes sense. You can also elect to bring over Applications, but some may not run if they are 32 bit, and also beware if you have Adobe software such as Photoshop, Lightroom, Creative Cloud etc. because those do not migrate properly and you could find yourself in a situation where you need to uninstall them and reinstall them but the uninstaller may not run, leaving you in a bind. You could elect to bring over no applications and simply reinstall them again on the new computer. I suggest that if you have Adobe CC.

Also on that first boot, it will ask you to set your login password (it will not bring that over) and it will ask you to provide your Apple ID and Apple ID password (also will not migrate over). However if you migrate all your files and applications, some of your passwords may come over but some might not, it depends on the software, web site, etc. So be prepared to reenter some of those.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2020 9:08 PM in response to jrmar71

You can probably delete one of those users. But if the "quirks" are bothering you, booting into recovery, THEN erase and reinstall should work. (You said "erase, recover mode, reinstall ..." that's the wrong order.) If you boot into recovery, there is an option to erase the disk and reinstall a fresh operating system. That is the option you should select. After that clean reinstall, you'll have basically the new computer with no users or anything on it except what Apple shipped it with. Then it will complete the installation of the OS and reboot. On that first boot, don't create any users -- it will first ask if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup, you should say Yes and proceed with that. Select what you want to restore carefully -- restoring the users you want to bring over, files, settings etc. usually makes sense. You can also elect to bring over Applications, but some may not run if they are 32 bit, and also beware if you have Adobe software such as Photoshop, Lightroom, Creative Cloud etc. because those do not migrate properly and you could find yourself in a situation where you need to uninstall them and reinstall them but the uninstaller may not run, leaving you in a bind. You could elect to bring over no applications and simply reinstall them again on the new computer. I suggest that if you have Adobe CC.

Also on that first boot, it will ask you to set your login password (it will not bring that over) and it will ask you to provide your Apple ID and Apple ID password (also will not migrate over). However if you migrate all your files and applications, some of your passwords may come over but some might not, it depends on the software, web site, etc. So be prepared to reenter some of those.

May 10, 2020 8:35 AM in response to steve626

Thanks, this is the information I was looking for. Good advice regarding steps to take " boot into recovery, erase etc." The problem with the migration was mostly with ending with two users and odd behavior because both users were me with different names for "Home." and other issues. I think it is better to start with a clean slate this time. Careful, as you suggest, "on first boot, don't create any users."

When I first upgraded I had planned to boot up the new Mac Book Pro with the time machine back up from the old machine first time. But I thought I needed to update the OS in the new machine to match the updated old machine which was one update ahead of the new. I realize now that this was not necessary.

Adobe CC migrated with no problems, I had to sign in again to update a program. I have Adobe CC on my Imac 27, it is okay too. I mention this because there are problems caused by Apple ID and cloud that appear on other devices caused by the migration mistakes I may have made.

I had to change my Apple ID and with two users and a number of Apple Devices things became difficult. As I mentioned the new Mac 16 is running pretty well just some odd behavior and issues in certain places.

I hope that anyone else who reads these messages can be helped.

Thanks again for responding. It is appreciated.

Migrated to new MacBookPro 16 using TimeMachine BU from old machine. Made mistakes, ended up with two users and quirks. Plan to erase, recover mode, re install from old machine BU. Will Apple ID and other ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.