You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing a CD

0i am having trouble importing a CD into my iTunes library using a windows 10 laptop. I can't seem to get it to rip , it will into windows media but how do I get from there into my iTunes?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 6, 2020 7:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 1:57 AM

There should be no problem ripping from a CD inside iTunes. It's a primary function, so it makes little sense to import it using WMP and then still having to get that into iTunes (which is possible, but why go through all that nonsense?)

What happens when you put the CD into your CD drive? If iTunes is already open, then it should do something with the CD. That might be simply to display it, or perhaps even to automatically import it, depending on the setting, which can be changed.

On my Windows 10 laptop, if iTunes is not already open, putting in a CD doesn't start it up (I probably simply need to change a setting). However, if I then open iTunes, the Import CD icon will be displayed:

Click on that CD icon (1.) and the view will switch to the Import CD window:

Then simply click on the Import CD button (2.). You may see a box asking you what settings you want to use.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2020 1:57 AM in response to leftie13

There should be no problem ripping from a CD inside iTunes. It's a primary function, so it makes little sense to import it using WMP and then still having to get that into iTunes (which is possible, but why go through all that nonsense?)

What happens when you put the CD into your CD drive? If iTunes is already open, then it should do something with the CD. That might be simply to display it, or perhaps even to automatically import it, depending on the setting, which can be changed.

On my Windows 10 laptop, if iTunes is not already open, putting in a CD doesn't start it up (I probably simply need to change a setting). However, if I then open iTunes, the Import CD icon will be displayed:

Click on that CD icon (1.) and the view will switch to the Import CD window:

Then simply click on the Import CD button (2.). You may see a box asking you what settings you want to use.

May 6, 2020 8:13 PM in response to leftie13

If you can rip it with WMP, go to the folder where the songs are saved, and then import them into iTunes.

1. Open WMP
  2. Tools > Options > Rip Music
  3. Choose a location to rip the music to, or create a new one. Choose MP3 format in the Rip Settings box
  4. Rip CD
  5. Open iTunes
  6. View > Media kind > Music
  7. File > Add Folder (or files) to Library

Sync to your media player/iPhone

importing a CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.