You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to load a file already on a Mac & get it into Music

I have an m4a file on my Mac Pro (wi Catalina). I get into Music, do the import command, select the file. Then nothing happens - it doesn't load anything. It doesn't say why not. It just ignores the command. The file is my own, with no copyright.

How do I make it load the file into Music?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 6, 2020 4:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 7:22 PM

The import command seems to be broken lately. There have been many reports here about that.

The best way to add a file to your library is to drag it into the Automatically Add to Music folder, which can be found in your Media folder. Do this while iTunes/Music is running.

Similar questions

3 replies

May 7, 2020 9:03 AM in response to ed2345

Found Automatically Add to Music folder in Music >> iTunes >> iTunes Music. and it seems to have worked. BUT in addition, I was trying to add a file that was identical (I think) to a previous one, but with a different name. Adding the file occurred, but the name in the song list remained the same as the previous version.

I count this as question solved. many thanks.

How to load a file already on a Mac & get it into Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.