You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad pro text messages vs Imessages

I have a new Ipad pro and I am not receiving text messages on it like I did on my old IPad. I receive the Imessages but not normal text messages from people without Apple products.

Anyone know what the problem might be or what settings I need to change?

thanks

Posted on May 5, 2020 7:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 7:48 AM

On your iPhone go to Settings->Messages->Message Forwarding, and make sure your new iPad is turned on there.

See here for specifics: How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

May 5, 2020 7:47 AM in response to rjbridges7

To send and receive text messages, you’ll need to associate your iPad with your iPhone - as SMS/MMS messages are a cellular carrier feature.

Your iPhone can provide SMS/MMS services to your iPad - and if your iPhone’s Cellular provider supports WiFi Calling on their network, your iPad can make voice calls via your iPhone. Voice calls are received and initiated from your iPad using the FaceTime App.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208386

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209456

You should note that you iPad cannot access Cellular service features directly - but instead is reliant upon Cellular features of the iPhone. Apple’s continuity feature-set provides the link between the two devices.

I hope this information is helpful.

IPad pro text messages vs Imessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.