You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I unhide the Library folder in a TM backup file?

Hello,

I know this subject has been listed before a few years back, and I followed the instructions but had no luck making it work. I am also after Office 365 files and my Google Chrome bookmarks.

I recently had to do a complete software reinstall erasing my hard drive starting again with a clean install.

I didn't want to use migration assistant to bring things back just in case something was corrupt on my time machine backup, plus I wanted everything to be fresh.

I can open my external hard drive from the desktop and see my time machine backups there, but when I navigate to the user it doesn't show my user library folder.

How do I unhide the library folder on the external backup drive?

I also have to connect and start the time machine backup process again, so it probably wont let me see past backups on this new operating system when I run time machine. I have installed Catalina on my iMac.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks heaps.

Nichole

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 12:14 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

May 1, 2020 4:28 AM in response to dialabrain

Hello Dialabrain,

You're a complete GENIUS!! I downloaded EasyFind and navigated my way to the two data files I needed in the hidden user library folder from my time machine backup and copied them to my desktop. I was able to restore my Outlook email folders I filed my messages in and all of my Chrome bookmarks. I have learnt so much more about my mac in the last couple of days.

I am forever grateful for your knowledge. So much appreciated. Kindest regards Nich1973 :)

How can I unhide the Library folder in a TM backup file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.