You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newbie - A question about iCloud setup

I set up 2 TB in iCloud capacity several days ago to back up my desktop and documents. (OS Mojave)

I noticed that 'Desktop' and 'Documents' no longer appear under 'Favorites' in the left column of my

Finder window, but appear under 'iCloud.'

Does this mean these items will no longer be resident on my HD and only via connection to iCloud? If so, what if I'm not connected to the internet? Will these items still be accessible standing alone off the web?

Is iCloud Drive different from simply backing up to iCloud, and if so, How do I return to just backing up?

Thanks in advance.

Ed in Brooklyn

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 2:38 PM

If you didn't turn on the Optimize Storage option for iCloud Drive, there is still a local copy on your Mac (and there may be a local copy of some or all of your files even if you did turn that option on. For more information see the "Store your files in iCloud and save space on your device" section of Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you want to turn off Desktop and Documents see the "Turn off Desktop and Documents" of the same article. Be sure to read the fine print at the bottom of that section.

Apple offers iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers. Syncing to iCloud Drive (including the Desktop and Documents option) has some of the benefits of a backup but it is different in several respects, including that it does not sync everything on your Mac and it happens as data changes. If you accidentally delete a document from your Mac it will also be deleted from iCloud and if you don't notice it within 30 days there is no way to recover it.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 25, 2020 2:38 PM in response to Edward M. Baum

If you didn't turn on the Optimize Storage option for iCloud Drive, there is still a local copy on your Mac (and there may be a local copy of some or all of your files even if you did turn that option on. For more information see the "Store your files in iCloud and save space on your device" section of Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you want to turn off Desktop and Documents see the "Turn off Desktop and Documents" of the same article. Be sure to read the fine print at the bottom of that section.

Apple offers iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers. Syncing to iCloud Drive (including the Desktop and Documents option) has some of the benefits of a backup but it is different in several respects, including that it does not sync everything on your Mac and it happens as data changes. If you accidentally delete a document from your Mac it will also be deleted from iCloud and if you don't notice it within 30 days there is no way to recover it.

Apr 25, 2020 7:12 PM in response to Edward M. Baum

By default desktops and documents folders are never located under favourites in finder side bar , perhaps they are viewed under iCloud section , you can remove them by just right clicking on it and remove from sidebar .

This feature is only for convenience to view documents from finder side bar for an administrator , the items can be brought back by clicking the box in finder preferences https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp2803/10.14/mac/10.14

Regarding the contents in desktops and documents they are always saved when iCloud Drive box and desktops and documents box is checked https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchle5a61431/10.14/mac/10.14

Or use another method .

Open system preferences > iCloud and uncheck the box of iCloud Drive a pop up window appears , showing to keep a copy of documents , and remove from the Mac .

( a ) if you had clicked on keep a copy , they will be archived in home folder that can be viewed by clicking on finder in the dock , take cursor on top menu bar > Go > Home > your user name > iCloud Drive ( Archive ) .

However , it is wiser to archive the documents / files https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204055

Suppose by mistake you delete the documents / files and empty the trash immediately they are erased from the server , but still saved in iCloud Drive ( archive ) , or if you have already set up time machine they can be recovered https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT209152

Newbie - A question about iCloud setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.