You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo library

When switching on the ICloud Photo Library I get a message saying the following:

photos and videos synchronised from ITunes will be removed

synchronisation of photos from ITunes is not supported when activating ICloud Photo Library

1656 photos and videos will be removed

What does that in reality mean, will it delete everything on the IPad photo stream?

iPad 2

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 11:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 12:11 PM

It means exactly what it says. If you have photos on your device that were synced from your computer using iTunes, those photos will be erased and replaced with the photos on your device that were not synced rom your computer. If you use iCloud Photos, Photo Stream is no longer supported.

IOW, you cannot sync photos from a computer and use iCloud Photos at the same time.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2020 12:11 PM in response to Dab8090

It means exactly what it says. If you have photos on your device that were synced from your computer using iTunes, those photos will be erased and replaced with the photos on your device that were not synced rom your computer. If you use iCloud Photos, Photo Stream is no longer supported.

IOW, you cannot sync photos from a computer and use iCloud Photos at the same time.

Apr 24, 2020 12:16 PM in response to Dab8090

See the "What happened to the My Photo Stream album?" section in:

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

I believe what that message really means is that when you turn on iCloud Photos, all of your photos and videos are now securely stored in iCloud (when they automatically upload). So there is no need synchronize them from iTunes. But, I would suggest you copy them to an external (thumb) drive, if you can, just to be sure.

Apr 24, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Dab8090

I take this message at face value. This is a screenshot from my iPad.

I take this to mean that the photos that you take with the device, screenshots, saved from websites, etc, will be the ones that are uploaded to iCloud and the ones that are currently on the device via syncing with iTunes will be removed.

I do not use iCloud Photos because I find many things iCloud to be a little flakey. I also admit that some of it confuse me, therefore I stay away from it.

If you are backing her iPad up and then you turn on iCloud Photos, you can enlighten us and let is know exactly what happens.

Apr 25, 2020 7:27 AM in response to Demo

I backed up all her photos and switched on the Icloud Photo Library and it did as you outlined.

All photos synched from laptop(Itunes) was deleted and the only remaining was from the photos taking with the device, screenshots etc.

I have now uploaded all the pictures in Icloud and it works very well, all are visible on her Ipad again and as a bonus it freed up lots of storage :)

iCloud Photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.