You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to import mail messages after updating to Catalina

I upgraded to Catalina from High Sierra. When I opened Mail, it told me it had to import the messages. After a large number of messages imported, it stopped importing and the number on the screen remained static. On the chance that it's a space issue, began archiving large and older files to an external drive. I pulled up system information and I see that there is a Mail file showing as being 269.87GB. I cannot find this file anywhere on my HD and it appears that it is causing the space issue. My HD is 512GB and I'm currently showing 90.37GB available.

Is there a way to remove that large Mail file and re-import Mail? Can I do a backup from my Time Machine to revert to before the upgrade. (When I entered Time Machine, it was only letting me see today - I tried to go back to Tuesday or Wednesday and it wouldn't let me.)

Help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 4:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 10:13 AM

Is there a way to remove that large Mail file and re-import Mail? Can I do a backup from my Time Machine to revert to before the upgrade.

You should be able to restore from your Time Machine backup.

Reboot holding down Alt/Option, then select the Time Machine drive to boot from. Now select the options to restore from Time Machine to your Mac, carefully selecting the backup you want - i.e. the one that was taken shortly before the upgrade.

This should take a few hours but should restore you to the pre-upgrade system.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2020 10:13 AM in response to slslauren

Is there a way to remove that large Mail file and re-import Mail? Can I do a backup from my Time Machine to revert to before the upgrade.

You should be able to restore from your Time Machine backup.

Reboot holding down Alt/Option, then select the Time Machine drive to boot from. Now select the options to restore from Time Machine to your Mac, carefully selecting the backup you want - i.e. the one that was taken shortly before the upgrade.

This should take a few hours but should restore you to the pre-upgrade system.

Unable to import mail messages after updating to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.