You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 1st generation

I just an apple pencil 1st generation. It will not charge past 3%. I have disconnected it. Re paired to my ipad. I have tried the charger port. Nothing will charge it. I even tried my iphone. Is it broke?

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 10:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 1:21 PM

Given your additional description, it is even more likely that you have acquired a Pencil with a “dead” battery.

Return to point of purchase for a refund - and then buy replacement from Apple. Apple will provide a 12 month warranty; if the battery fails, it’ll be replaced.

5 replies

Apr 23, 2020 10:53 AM in response to MrHunter3010

As described, you Apple Pencil battery is failing or has failed. Do you regularly use and recharge the pencil? Infrequently used Pencils often fail.

The tiny internal battery must never be allowed to remain in a discharged state for any period of time, as the battery will suffer irreparable damage. Once the battery has failed, as it cannot be serviced or replaced, the Pencil must be replaced.

Sorry, not the news you were hoping for.

Apple Pencil 1st generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.