You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate hard drive

I've upgraded to Catalina 10.15.4 but it doesn't seem to be compatible with my Seagate Portable Drive. It opens on the screen but will not allow me to add anything to it. Anyone else got this problem?

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 2:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 8:40 AM

I was afraid of that. Had the same issue with a brand new external hard disk back then. Was also formatted as NTFS by default. MacOS can read from NTFS partitions. But can't write to it unless you use 3rd party software like NTFS for Mac. NTFS is what Windows uses by default. So a Windows computer won't have any issues.

What you need to do is open up Disk Utility and select the drive on the left side bar. Then click on the Partition button.

This will open this window

Here you can set the kind of partition you would like. MacOS Extended (Journaled) is generally the best option for an external Mac hard disk. Make sure you have a backup of the files on the hard disk. Because after this step that data will be gone. Then select Apply.

If I'm not mistaken MacOS will now format the hard disk and it will be available once it finishes :)

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 18, 2020 8:40 AM in response to ivan page

I was afraid of that. Had the same issue with a brand new external hard disk back then. Was also formatted as NTFS by default. MacOS can read from NTFS partitions. But can't write to it unless you use 3rd party software like NTFS for Mac. NTFS is what Windows uses by default. So a Windows computer won't have any issues.

What you need to do is open up Disk Utility and select the drive on the left side bar. Then click on the Partition button.

This will open this window

Here you can set the kind of partition you would like. MacOS Extended (Journaled) is generally the best option for an external Mac hard disk. Make sure you have a backup of the files on the hard disk. Because after this step that data will be gone. Then select Apply.

If I'm not mistaken MacOS will now format the hard disk and it will be available once it finishes :)

Apr 18, 2020 2:41 AM in response to ivan page

How is the drive formatted? If it's NTFS then Catalina can't write to it. If that's the case you need to reformat is as either APFS or MacOS Extended (Journaled).

Check with Apple's Disk Utility. The example below is my own external SSD which is connected to my MacBook Air.

Mine is formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled). Which partition type is yours being listed as?

Seagate hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.