You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change apple id on macbook pro

i set up my new macbook pro with a different apple id. it's a bit of a nightmare since everything is on the old apple id. does family sharing solve this or what?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 1:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 1:59 PM

If you created a new Apple ID, then, yes, there is a problem as you have found out. Some things available under the first Apple ID will not be available under the new Apple ID. For example, you won’t be able to transfer anything purchased from the App and iTunes Stores to the new ID. And, there are other issues to be addressed. See

what Eric Root say on this matter here:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251263630

what Winston Churchill says about it here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7452747

You mentioned using family sharing to help deal with your problem. Eric root has a way of using family sharing that can help solve your problem. I haven't studied what he says. I think he will see this thread and help you out.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 14, 2020 1:59 PM in response to jonyc

If you created a new Apple ID, then, yes, there is a problem as you have found out. Some things available under the first Apple ID will not be available under the new Apple ID. For example, you won’t be able to transfer anything purchased from the App and iTunes Stores to the new ID. And, there are other issues to be addressed. See

what Eric Root say on this matter here:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251263630

what Winston Churchill says about it here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7452747

You mentioned using family sharing to help deal with your problem. Eric root has a way of using family sharing that can help solve your problem. I haven't studied what he says. I think he will see this thread and help you out.

Apr 14, 2020 2:37 PM in response to jonyc

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.       

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

Apr 14, 2020 1:57 PM in response to jonyc

jonyc Said:

"change apple id on MacBook pro: i set up my new macbook pro with a different apple id. it's a bit of a nightmare since everything is on the old apple id. does family sharing solve this or what?"

-------

Please Emphasize:

So, what exactly are the symptoms of this nightmare you speak of? Is your MacBook Pro not operating in one manor or another? Are you unable to use applications? Are you unable to log in? Please provide more information.

Thank you.

Apr 14, 2020 2:48 PM in response to jonyc

jonyc Said:

"The laptop functions but the automatic upload of photos, and music are hampered. I would like to go back to the original Apple ID and I can. but don’t want to have to set up the laptop again."

-------

Disable Photo Uploads:

If Photos are take a while to upload, then I would there must be hundreds if not thosands, correct? I would disable this synchronization of photos and music. Go Here: Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Apple ID. Next, disable photos and music. See if this uploading all stops.

change apple id on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.