You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail.app und OAuth 2.0

Microsoft will retire basic "Basic Authentication" for eg. Exchange Online Services.

In response to the COVID-19 crisis and knowing that priorities have changed for many of our customers we have decided to postpone disabling Basic Authentication in Exchange Online for those tenants still actively using it until the second half of 2021. 

As far as i found out in the Microsoft Azure Directory almost all of my client Apps are using "legacy authentication" as they are: Exchange Active Sync, Exchange-Webservices, IMAP.

On the good side are only Browser logins eg. from the portal.office.com website.

Apple won't tell me which Version of Mail.app is supporting OAuth 2.0 (or which Version of macOS), they really told me i should ask Microsoft.

I think only OAuth 1.0 is supported by Apple Mail.app

So the question is: Does anybody know if the

Apple Mail.app v12.4 – macOS Mojave 10.14.6 or the

Apple Mail.app v13.4 – macOS Catalina 10.15.4

supports OAuth 2.0?

If yes, how can i create a new account with this authentication method?

If no, what are the options to do a workaround for that problem?

Which mail client apps can you recommend with OAuth 2.0?

Thank you all in advance for your contribution :-)

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 11:31 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 14, 2020 11:44 AM in response to zooom it guru

Hello zooom it guru,

Thanks for posting your question. As I understand it, you want to know if different versions of the macOS Mail app support OAuth 2.0 protocols. Is that right?

I see you worked with Apple already and they recommended getting in touch with Microsoft. While that might still be your best bet, I did find this resource, which makes brief mention of OAuth protocols in macOS Catalina: What's new in the updates for macOS Catalina

"This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements:

• OAuth authentication support with Outlook.com accounts for improved security"

If you're looking for more specification information, that's when you may want to get in touch with Microsoft directly.

Take care.

Apr 30, 2020 2:32 AM in response to sterling r

Hello sterling r.

Thank you for your hints, unfortunately still macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (I did the latest Supplemental Update before the tests) with Apple Mail.app 13.4 (3608.80.23.2.2) are not supporting OAuth 2.0, as far as the Microsoft Azure dashboard shows it.

I made those tests on an MBP 13", and here are the results as screenshots to proof my theory.

Select only legacy authentication methods

If I select "Exchange" in the Apple Mail.app to connect to my MS Exchange Online Service it looks like this:

If I choose IMAP to connect to my MS Exchange Online Account it shows those details:

Both protocols: Exchange-Webservice (equals to Exchange-Webdienste) and IMAP used by the Apple Mail.app are sorted in the Category: legacy authentication clients (Legacy-Authentifizierungsclients) in the Azure Dashboard.

So what to do?

Probably we will have to switch to MS-Outlook Client in 2021…

Where can we put a feature request to Apple to implement OAuth2.0 into the oncoming macOS / Mail.app's?

Maybe there are some lists, where we could vote for that?

Markus

Apple Mail.app und OAuth 2.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.