You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

picture in picture

hi

whenever I want to put a 'picture' in video, the video (recorded with the MacBook cam) I can adjust (full screen or smaller), but the imported picture I cannot adjust. It always gets smaller? can you help me?

MacBook

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 8:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 9:06 AM

I don't know why you are getting the resizing. That shouldn't be happening. Also, it's hard to tell what happened without having hands-on with your computer. I am not able to replicate the issue on my computer.

To confirm what you are trying to do: It looks like you want to insert the face vid into the truck picture with Picture in Picture. Correct? If so, the face vid should be above the truck pic in the time line. The inserted clip always goes on the top. You then select the face vid on top and insert it with Picture in Picture, resize and position it the way you want, and then click on the little blue reset button on the right hand side of the screen to apply the effect. Clicking on the blue button will expand the size of the screen display slightly. There should be no resizing of the truck pic on preview play. Have you tried that procedure?

Instead, it looks like you are inserting the truck picture into the face video, because the truck pic is on top. If so, when you are in the Picture in Picture feature, you should be able to drag out the truck picture to full size and set it that way by clicking on the blue reset button. There shouldn't be any resizing when you play it back.

If you have fiddled with your procedure and still are getting the resize problem then try resetting your preferences: To do that, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the Picture in Picture effect works correctly.

Also, you can try creating a new project and see if you get correct results there.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 10, 2020 9:06 AM in response to gregolive

I don't know why you are getting the resizing. That shouldn't be happening. Also, it's hard to tell what happened without having hands-on with your computer. I am not able to replicate the issue on my computer.

To confirm what you are trying to do: It looks like you want to insert the face vid into the truck picture with Picture in Picture. Correct? If so, the face vid should be above the truck pic in the time line. The inserted clip always goes on the top. You then select the face vid on top and insert it with Picture in Picture, resize and position it the way you want, and then click on the little blue reset button on the right hand side of the screen to apply the effect. Clicking on the blue button will expand the size of the screen display slightly. There should be no resizing of the truck pic on preview play. Have you tried that procedure?

Instead, it looks like you are inserting the truck picture into the face video, because the truck pic is on top. If so, when you are in the Picture in Picture feature, you should be able to drag out the truck picture to full size and set it that way by clicking on the blue reset button. There shouldn't be any resizing when you play it back.

If you have fiddled with your procedure and still are getting the resize problem then try resetting your preferences: To do that, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the Picture in Picture effect works correctly.

Also, you can try creating a new project and see if you get correct results there.

-- Rich

Apr 9, 2020 9:24 AM in response to gregolive

If you are talking about the small size of the overlayed picture in picture, you can adjust that by dragging on the corner of the inserted picture that is displayed on the preview screen. If you drag out the corner, the picture will get bigger, and you can also drag to position the inserted picture on the screen.

-- Rich

picture in picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.