You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2006 Macmini1,1 won't display anything before getting out of sleep

Hello,

This A1176 Mac Mini is running Boot Camp with Windows Xp on one side and Mac Os X Snow Leopard on the other.

I can hear the chime at startup. Hooked up to a VGA monitor, the screen stays black for a while. Then I can only see a flashing horizontal line every 3 or 4 seconds, on different positions each time. If I press the Power button, the Mini goes to sleep. After hitting a keyboard key, the Mini wakes up and I can see my Snow Leopard desktop.

I've tried several startup key combinations, using two different USB keyboards, hooked on the first USB port next to the monitor port, but if they ever did something, I can't tell because of the black screen.

If I boot on Windows Xp, nothing shows up either until the Xp logo and loading bar screen, then it's all good.

I hadn't used this machine in several years. I kinda remember issues with the CD drive, which I would mind disconnecting from the motherboard.

Also, at startup, I sometimes hear loud clear noises, which, as a French native speaker, I would describe as a "tak.... tak... tak... " sound, repeated a few times only before they stop.

Please tell me if I can give any more information to help you help me solve this!

Thanks a lot. :)

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 12:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 8, 2020 9:08 AM in response to QuickPost

Thank you for these suggestions.

Additional information: it takes about 45 seconds before I see the screen flicker. The time it might take the Mac to boot and get to the desktop?

But the monitor detects input as soon as I boot the Mac up. Its power led goes from sleep color (orange) to active color (blue).

• About SMC, I followed the instructions for Desktop computers:

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.

2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.

3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

But the Mac had been turned off and unplugged for several years, so I guess the SMC was well reset? :)

• About NVRAM:

If I press Alt+Ctrl+P+R (don't have any Apple Keyboard at my disposal) before the first chime, I will hear the chime maybe ten seconds later. But I'll never hear a second chime, and then I see the flicker.

If I press Alt+Ctrl+P+R after the first chime, I won't hear it a second time. And then I'll see the flicker.

• About the AHT:

I tried pressing D, but if it ever displayed the Test icon, I wasn't able to see it. And then appeared the flicker.

Waiting for the next steps, thank you very much! :)

Late 2006 Macmini1,1 won't display anything before getting out of sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.