You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you delete imessage storage from icloud without deleting messages from the actual device?

Accidentally backed up imessage on icloud and now icloud storage is full. Want to take it off but afraid it will delete all messages on iphone. I have since disabled messages from icloud storage.

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 10:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 11:33 AM

Accidentally backed up imessage on icloud and now icloud storage is full. Want to take it off but afraid it will delete all messages on iphone. I have since disabled messages from icloud storage.

From your original post - the first sentence is backing up to icloud What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Your last sentence refers to the link I gave you Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support

So which one is it, if the latter if you delete off your device and icloud the message is gone.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 31, 2020 11:33 AM in response to Mohawk393

From your original post - the first sentence is backing up to icloud What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Your last sentence refers to the link I gave you Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support

So which one is it, if the latter if you delete off your device and icloud the message is gone.

Mar 31, 2020 11:53 AM in response to razmee209

I understand that iCloud stores my messages. However, I can't even back up because there's not enough storage space. They're not even saved in my iCloud when I go to the iCloud site.

Per the second article you sent, I do not want to keep all my messages in iCloud, ONLY on my iPhone. I want to reserve my iCloud storage space for only photos and mail. However, because I am unable to back up my messages, I am afraid if I click "disable and delete" from iCloud on Messages, I will just lose all my messages on my iPhone (which I do not want to happen). Does that make sense?

How do you delete imessage storage from icloud without deleting messages from the actual device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.