You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Add column" greyed out in Numbers

I have a fairly complex spreadsheet and I am not able to add (or remove) columns - the option is greyed out

The sheet was created (by someone else) in Excel and imported

I can add/remove rows without problems

There are no header rows or columns, and in merged cells (there were, but I've removed them)

I can copy the whole sheet into a new sheet and then things work fine. But that messes up all the references to this sheet in other sheets so I'd rather fix the original sheet

Any ideas why this happens/how to fix?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 1:49 PM

1 reply

Apr 1, 2020 4:42 PM in response to Dwyster

Hi there, Dwyster.

I see that you're unable to add or remove columns from a Numbers spreadsheet. The setting is grayed out, and I recommend contacting Apple Support for help with this issue.

Apple - Support - Product Selection — After selecting this link, choose Music, Apps & Services > Mac apps > Numbers. Then select how you'd like to start the conversation.

Take care.

"Add column" greyed out in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.