You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages and FaceTime won't activate on MacOS

I'm using Messages fine on iOS, but on my MacBook I signed out but can't get back in.

I'm running 10.15.3 Catalina. I've rebooted, have a strong WiFi connection, my date/time is accurate. I've seen online references to opening Messages Preferences and checking/unchecking "Enable this account" but that must have been on an older version of Messages because it's not visible to me.

I was having this Messages issue while FaceTime was logged in and working. I signed out of FaceTime, and now I'm unable to log back in (no error, just re-displays the Apple ID/Password fields again.

If I go to appleid.apple.com, I'm able to log in with the same Apple ID and Password I tried with Messages and FaceTime. Now I was prompted for a 2nd factor, which I wasn't for Messages and FaceTime, if that's relevant.

I also tried resetting NVRAM to no avail.

Any help appreciated!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 11:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply
3 replies

Messages and FaceTime won't activate on MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.