You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Current time-Numbers

Is there a way to have a cell track the current time in numbers? I don't want the time to update when I make changes to the entire sheet, only when I make changes to the row. Is there a way to offset the time by 4 hours. (I need it in GMT) without changing the system clock time zone?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 8:15 AM

1 reply

Mar 20, 2020 12:01 PM in response to K9VEG

No.

The NOW function returns the current Date and Time value, but updates whenever there is a change in the document (even if that change is in a different table and on a different sheet, according to a brief set of tests here).

You can enter a stable Date and Time value into a cell using the Insert (menu) > Date and Time but, unless there has been a change to this feature in recent Numbers versions, that displays only the Date part by default, and to add the time part requires double-clicking on the cell to open a small menu, then choosing a format that includes the time part in the style and precision you want. This 'extra' step is required every time the Insert > Date and Time menu item is used.

Fortunately, there is a "Today" service constructed some years ago by SGIII, a regular contributor to this community.

The service requires selecting the cell in which you want to place the current Date and Time, then

• choosing Numbers > Services > Today

OR

• pressing shift-command-T

That still requires user action to set or reset the Date and Time each time it is necessary, but provides a much simpler process than either the built in menu selection, or manually editing the contents of the cell,

And it does provide a stable Date and Time value that stays until you replace it.

"Is there a way to offset the time by 4 hours."

Not directly, but it can be calculated in separate cell using the formula shown below this table:

(NOW updated when I removed extra rows from the table after placing the other to values.)

Regards,

Barry

PS: Use the Provide Numbers Feedback item in the Numbers menu to request a Feature enhancement providing a time stamp feature (or an enhancement of Insert > Date and Time to provide user ability to set a default D&T format for what is inserted.

B

Current time-Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.