You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to reinstall El Capitan but get a message "this item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later."

Everything that I have tried related to El Capitan gets me to a roadblock. Why is El Capitan so special? Can I create a bootable disk for Yosemite and install that? Then upgrade to El Capitan? Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 19, 2020 5:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2020 3:17 PM

Hello,

Try downloading macOS 10.11 El Capitan from Apple’s website.

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

7 replies

Mar 19, 2020 3:26 PM in response to QuickPost

Here is the whole story.

I have sold my old MacBook Pro that was running OS X El Capitan. I followed the Apple recommended process to back up all my data, erased the Macintosh HD then selected Reinstall MacOS and followed the instructions. When I got to the Install OS X El Capitan and entered my Apple ID and password the next message that I get is "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later." It never changes.

Mar 20, 2020 7:47 AM in response to djinmn52

I did download Mac OS X El Capitan from the Apple App Store to a flash drive. I was able to open it to the InstallMacOSX.pkg but that's as far as I can go. The only os on the subject MacBook Pro is the recovery disk and I can't find a way for that to access the flash drive. Seems I'm so close but am at a dead end.

I sure hope someone can help!

Trying to reinstall El Capitan but get a message "this item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.