You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch Cellular Plan

Do I need a cellular plan to be able to receive my calls and text on my watch? I have an iphone and about to get an apple watch. Just want to know if I need to add a cellular plan.

Apple Watch Edition

Posted on Mar 6, 2020 1:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2020 1:27 PM

You only need to add a cellular plan if you wish. You do not even have to purchase a cellular capable device if you don't want to. They are more expensive than the GPS only watch, and that watch will also do everything the cellular version will do if the paired iPhone is nearby. Not all carriers support the cellular version for activation, but you can make calls with the GPS only on any carrier if the paired iPhone is nearby. Carriers also charge a monthly fee for activation of the cellular on the watch, generally around $10/month here in the US. Even if you should buy the GPS + Cellular watch, you don't have to activate cellular to use it for calls and text. Only if you want to do it without the paired iPhone. Then at some point if you wish to activate the cellular you can.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 6, 2020 1:27 PM in response to ama177

You only need to add a cellular plan if you wish. You do not even have to purchase a cellular capable device if you don't want to. They are more expensive than the GPS only watch, and that watch will also do everything the cellular version will do if the paired iPhone is nearby. Not all carriers support the cellular version for activation, but you can make calls with the GPS only on any carrier if the paired iPhone is nearby. Carriers also charge a monthly fee for activation of the cellular on the watch, generally around $10/month here in the US. Even if you should buy the GPS + Cellular watch, you don't have to activate cellular to use it for calls and text. Only if you want to do it without the paired iPhone. Then at some point if you wish to activate the cellular you can.

Apple watch Cellular Plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.